Dog in snow with person holding cell phone advertising free dog license application renewal.

The City of Selkirk is a pet friendly community. Our By-Law Enforcement Officers go to great lengths to keep our families safe and united and that includes our four-legged family members. 

Missing or lost pet? Please contact CitizenSupport and they will assist you anyway they can!

After Hours Contact information for emergencies is on the answering machine.

A license is required for all dogs over the age of four months that reside in the City of Selkirk. Licenses are free, must be renewed annually and have many benefits including: 

  • Access to the Selkirk Dog Park.
  • Peace of mind that your dog will be returned to you quickly and safely in the event that they are picked up by City staff. 
  • Cost savings: If your animal is found without a license you could face a fine.

Impounded Animals

By-Law Enforcement is authorized to capture and impound animals which are found running at large. 

Animal Complaints

By-Law Enforcement may respond to animal complaints such as excessive barking, animals running at large, animals causing a nuisance, animal bites or attacks, unlicensed dogs, failure to clean up pet defecation, and certain wild animals.

Lost and Found Pets

If you have a missing or lost pet, please contact CitizenSupport at 204-785-4900 Monday-Friday between 8:30am and 4:30pm. If the call is after hours there is After Hours Contact information on the answering machine.

You will be required to provide your contact information, and a description of the animal including date they went missing, gender, colouring, size, age, tattoo, and if they are wearing a collar. If By-Law Enforcement picks up your animal and it is tattooed or micro-chipped, you will be contacted. If we have your pet in our Animal Retention Centre you will need to pay the due fees before your pet is released. The Animal Retention Centre is not open to the public so a by-Law Enforcement Officer will meet you there at the time of collection.  

If you have found a dog or cat please contact CitizenSupport to arrange collection or drop off. After Hours Contact information is on the answering machine. Please note that By-Law Enforcement only collects animals from within the City of Selkirk.

Pet Relinquishment

It is at the discretion of the By-Law Enforcement Officer if they will accept a relinquished animal (only a cat or dog). Animals from outside of Selkirk will not be taken. The Winnipeg Humane Society also accepts surrendered animals for a fee.

Animal Retention Centre

The Animal Retention Centre is not open for public access. If you believe we may have your pet, please contact CitizenSupport to inquire and to arrange pick up.


While the City appreciates the offer to volunteer, it is not a practice the city can adopt for a few reasons, including the additional demand on resources for volunteer coordination, supervision, and training.


Anyone wishing to help can do by ensuring their animals are licensed through the city for a quick and safe return home and by getting your pets tattooed or microchipped by your vet. You can also help by reaching out to a local animal shelter and becoming an animal foster or donating to their organization.

Animal Complaints

City of Selkirk By-Law Enforcement Officers handle animal complaints within the municipality only. 


To make an animal complaint please contact CitizenSupport. You will be asked to provide the following information (if applicable):

  • Your name (Officer discretion to investigate if Anonymous complaint is received)
  • Address
  • Call back number
  • The location of animal(s) (Officers will respond to City of Selkirk complaints only)
  • Direction of travel
  • Description of animal 
  • If you know who the animal belongs to 
  • Any strange behaviour or aggression noticed 
  • What the animal is doing 

Please be advised that specific information related to enforcement measures on a property cannot be shared by the City to anyone other than the owner or tenant of a property.

Animal Allowance

According to the Responsible Pet Owner By-Law 5358;


Unless designated as an approved For-Profit Kennel business by the City, no person shall own, Harbour, keep or have in his possession or control or on premises, more than four (4) Companion Animals over the age of four (4) months, only two (2) of which may be dogs, regardless of the number of people who may be inhabiting the premises.


Citizens of Selkirk can apply for an Excess Animal Permit. The Excess Animal Permit fee is $100 and $50 to renew annually. Please contact CitizenSupport for further details and to apply. 

Off Leash Contraventions

The Responsible Pet Owner By-Law 5358 states that the owner of a dog in the City must ensure that the dog is kept on a leash, except when it is on the owner’s property or on the property of another person who has consented to the presence of the unleashed dog, or in an off-leash area designated by the City.


The only off-leash area within the City of Selkirk is the Dog Park in Selkirk Park. Please note that a valid dog license tag is required to access the Dog Park. For more information on the Dog Park, click here


Off leash dog complaints can be directed to CitizenSupport.

Animal Abuse and Neglect Reporting

The City of Selkirk is committed to the safety and well being of all animals in Selkirk. However, complaints regarding animal neglect or abuse are outside of the authority of City staff. For complaints of animal abuse or neglect please contact:


  • RCMP: 204-482-1222 (non-emergency line) 
  • Manitoba Animal Protection Officers: 204-945-8000 or 1-888-945-8001 (toll free)

More information regarding animal abuse or neglect can be found on the Government of Manitoba website.

Fees and Fines

Fees and Fines

Fees are $50 for a first offence, $100 for a second offence, and $200 for every offence thereafter. If your animal is impounded at the Animal Retention Centre, the below fees will be applicable as well. 


Each animal – each day$15.00 plus GST
Vet ExpensesActual Cost plus 30%

Wild Animal Control

Wild Animal Control

The City deals with skunks, racoons, and woodchucks (groundhogs) only. Complaints regarding foxes, coyotes, deer, or any other larger non-domestic animals should be directed to Manitoba Conversation at 204-785-5080.

Animal Traps

The City of Selkirk offers a free animal trap service to all Selkirk residents. Traps can be used for cats, racoons, and woodchucks (groundhogs). Dog traps may be available but only in extreme circumstances and at the discretion of the By-Law Enforcement Officer.


Trap requests are managed on a first come first serve basis and may not always be available at the time of your request. Traps may be unavailable due to unfavourable weather conditions at the discretion of a By-Law Enforcement Officer.


There are companies that can be contracted at the homeowner’s expense to provide trapping and disposal services in the area should you require a trap when they are not available through By-Law Enforcement.


In order to be provided with an animal trap you must provide the following information:

– Name and contact information
– Address of concern
– Type of animal (if that information is available to you)


Animal trap management and animal disposal is conducted by the City’s By-Law Enforcement Officers who check these traps at certain intervals throughout the day. We ask that residents don’t tamper with a trap once it has been set and contact CitizenSupport directly should they notice an animal in their trap.


Trap Weather Requirements

For By-Law Enforcement to set a live trap the temperature must be above 10 degrees Celsius (including overnight) and at a heat/humidex level that is at the discretion of the By-Law Enforcement Officer.


Trap Duration

Traps may be set in one location for a maximum of 5 days if no animal is caught. Ongoing trap use and animal issues may result in a longer period for trap use at the discretion of the By-Law Enforcement Officer. Traps may be requested by a resident for a maximum of two (2) times per year if there is no successful animal capture. The number of traps By-Law Enforcement sets is dependent on the circumstances. 


To request a trap please contact CitizenSupport.

Deceased Animal Collection

By-Law Enforcement may collect deceased animals on public property within the City of Selkirk. Collection is not provided for deceased animals on private property. Please contact CitizenSupport if an animal needs collection and meets the above requirements.


Vermin are outside of the scope of By-Law Enforcement. If assistance is required, we recommend contacting a Pest Control company.

If the concern is regarding a Public Health issue, please contact the IERHA Community Health Office at 204-785-7500.

Wildlife Tips

As a property owner or occupant, you can take steps to reduce wild animal encounters in your yard. 

Reducing Wildlife Encounters

There are several steps that residents can take to prevent wildlife from taking up permanent residence at their home as wildlife needs need, water, and shelter in order to survive.


  • If you have gaps below a deck, porch, storage shed, or home; these spaces could provide shelter for wildlife.
  • Fencing, lattice, wire, and patching products can be used to seal and minimize shelter opportunities for wildlife. Of course, be certain no wildlife is present before you seal an area.
  • Food sources such as overflowing garbage cans, improperly stored food, and even birdfeeders can attract wildlife.


For more information on how to keep your yard pest free please visit How to Live with Urban Wildlife.

Injured or Sick Wildlife

City of Selkirk By-Law Enforcement is unable to assist sick or injured wildlife. If you find wildlife in need of help, please reach out to one of the wildlife organizations below.

Cold Weather Pet Safety Tips

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk, and it is important to remember that our four-legged friends also feel the chill! 

Cold Weather Precautions
Cats, short-coated dogs, and puppies are more vulnerable in cold temperatures. Keep cats indoors and protect your dogs from frostbite or hypothermia by taking them outside for short periods during cold weather.
Use a damp towel to wipe your dog’s paws and underside after being outside. Check your dog’s paws frequently for signs of cold-weather injury or damage, such as cracked or bleeding paw pads. You may be able to reduce the chance of iceball accumulation by clipping the hair between your dog’s toes. Consider using “booties” to protect their paws.
Cold Weather Preparation

Cold weather also brings the risks of severe winter weather, blizzards and power outages. Prepare a disaster/emergency kit, and include your pet in your plans. Have enough food, water and medicine (including any prescription medications as well as heartworm and flea/tick preventives) on hand to get through at least 5 days.

Signs of Hypothermia and Frostbite

Wrap your furry friend in a blanket or coat, seek a warm shelter and immediate veterinary support if you see any of the following: 

  • Frostbite (can take several days to develop)
    – Often presents on the extremities (ears, legs, paws, tail)
    – Pale, cold skin that can be painful to touch
    – May develop redness, swelling and blisters of exposed skin
    – Skin may turn black
  • Hypothermia (can range from mild to severe)
    – Prolonged shivering
    – Weakness
    – Muscle stiffness
    – Difficulty walking
    – Pale gums
    – Confusion
    – Slow, shallow breathing
    – Loss of consciousness 

Though it’s important to pay attention to these things, you shouldn’t wait to see the first signs of discomfort to call your walk or playtime quits. While maintaining your dog’s exercise requirements during the winter is important, when conditions are especially cold it’s a good idea to cut your walk short and supplement your animal’s exercise with some indoor activities and enrichment. 

Lost Pets

Many pets become lost in winter because snow and ice can hide recognizable scents that might normally help your pet find their way back home. They may also not be as visible to oncoming traffic in snowstorms, so keep your dog leashed, wear high visibility/reflective material, and make sure your pet has a FREE City of Selkirk dog license.


If you have found or lost a pet in Selkirk please contact CitizenSupport.

To learn more about by-law tickets please visit: