aerial of a city

Zoning By-Law Amendment/Rezoning

The Zoning By-Law imposes specific regulations on how land can be used and developed. A Zoning By-Law Amendment, also known as a Rezoning, is a process where parts of the Zoning By-Law are added, altered or deleted. The amendments may affect the text of the By-Law, the zoning map, or both. The scale of the Zoning By-Law amendment may also vary from an individual property to the entire City.

Documentation and Fee Requirements

  • Application
  • Application Fee
  • Status of Title (issued by the Winnipeg Land Titles Office no later than 30 days before the date of the application).
  • Letter of Intent
  • Site Plan (see Frequently Asked Questions page for requirements),
  • Other plans and documentation may be required, depending on the nature of the request.


The time required to obtain final approval of an application may vary from 4 (four) to 18 (eighteen) months depending on the scope of the proposal and the number and type of conditions.

Public Hearing

A public hearing is required as part of the process to adopt a zoning by-law amendment. The public hearing provides an opportunity for the applicant and any member of the general public to comment on the application prior to Council’s decision.

The applicant is highly encouraged to attend the public hearing and be prepared to present details of their application and answer any questions.

Second Objections

If 25 or more objections are received to a zoning by-law amendment by eligible persons, or 50% of the total number of owners of property located within 100 metres of the affected property, Council may proceed with second reading. If second reading is given, than all persons who objected must be sent a notice of second reading and given an opportunity file a second objection in writing to CitizenSupport.

Should a sufficient number of second objections be received (i.e. 25 ore more eligible persons or 50% of the total number of owners of property located within 100 metres of the affected property), Council must refer the zoning by-law amendment to the Manitoba Municipal Board. The Manitoba Municipal Board will then hold a public hearing to decide if the objections will be upheld. 

If sufficient objections are not received, the by-law may be given Third Reading without further notice.