The same great Camp Awesome, now throughout the school year!
Camp Awesome Day Camps are offered during Lord Selkirk School Division PD and In-Service Days. These camps are for children ages 5-11 years, aimed at offering Manitoba Education Based-Curriculum outcomes in a nature-based and play learning environment, all while enjoying the fun of camp.
Camp Awesome staff will facilitate customized activities that foster connections to nature, movement, community, play and to each other, with the goal of inspiring land stewardship and holistic learning.
At Camp Awesome we aim to bring awareness of self in relationship to nature and the world around us, provide opportunities that stimulate the development of each camper’s leadership skills, self-confidence and stewardship and help each camper appreciate the natural surroundings and take an active role in the stewardship of our environment.
Click through the images below to read more about each camp pillar.
Registration Dates: Registration opens for our In-Service Day Camps on September 6, 2022 at 10:00 am. First come, first serve. Register for one or for all in-service dates.
Program Dates & Location: Lord Selkirk School division in-service dates:
- September 23, 2022; Selkirk Rec Complex
- October 21, 2022; Selkirk Rec Complex
- November 4, 2022; Selkirk Rec Complex
- November 14, 2022; Selkirk Rec Complex
- February 3, 2023; Selkirk Rec Complex
- March 17, 2023; Memorial Hall
- June 2, 2023; Selkirk Rec Complex
Time: Camp programming runs 9:00-4:00 pm. Options for early drop off (8:00-9:00 am) and late pick up (4:00-5:00 pm). See a full schedule of the day in the tab below “A Day At Camp”.
Cost: Non-resident = $42.00 per day; Resident = $36.00 per day (discount applied at checkout) GST exempt
Optional Add-On: Early Drop-Off & late Pick-Up – $5.00 per day per child.
Covid-19 Precautions – At this time, all City of Selkirk Program participants are required to wear face masks while indoors, during program time.
Please read the tabs below prior to registering.
Make sure your child has everything they need each day to make day camp a fun and enjoyable experience. Use the packing list below to help prepare for day camp.
NOTE: We suggest that you label all your child’s belongings. If you do not, you might be amazed at what your child brings home or leaves behind.
Things to bring to camp each day:
- Bathing suit, towel, goggles, lifejacket (if needed)
- Plastic bag for wet or dirty clothes
- A lunch and two snacks
- Water bottle
- Bug spray
- Face Mask -to be used inside our camp building.
- Indoor Shoes – this helps keep our areas clean.
- Outdoor shoes and weather appropriate clothing. We spend time outdoors EVERYDAY at Camp AWESOME (even in the winter).
- Please do not send children to camp with money, toys, phones, electronics or valuables. We make every effort to protect campers’ personal belongings that they bring to camp, but we cannot guarantee that things they bring to camp will not get lost or broken.
Camp Lunches & Snacks
Pack your child a healthy bag lunch that they will enjoy and that will give them energy for all activities they’ll be involved in. We will also take two snack breaks during the day. Do not pack items that require refrigeration. We do have a microwave at Camp Awesome.
Some children that attend camp may have severe, life-threatening allergies. When packing lunches and snacks, please do not include any of the following products in your child’s lunch:
- Nuts and nut products
- Other camp specific allergies will be shared with parents/guardians closer to camp
Does your child take medication?
If so, make sure it is given to the Camp Supervisor immediately upon arrival to camp. Our Camp Supervisor will want to review the requirements and ensure all required paperwork is completed.
In most circumstance, all medications must be stored with the Camp Staff to ensure safety and safe administration.
Clearly label the medication with your child’s name, exact dosage and what time is should be administered.
While there will be an overarching theme of each week at camp connected to on of our Camp Awesome Pillars, each day of camp will include time focused on each of our pillars. This allows campers to experience a variety of activities and learning opportunities, while keeping programming diverse and different each week/day of camp.
Daily Camp Schedule
8:00-8:50 – Early Drop Off (additional cost)
8:50-9:00 – Camp Drop Off
9:00-9:30 – Camp welcome, orientation, safety, icebreakers and theme introduction
9:30-10:30 – Pillar Based Activity, Guest, or Field Trip
10:30-10:45 – Snack
10:45-12:00 – Pillar Based Activity, Guest or Field Trip
12:00-12:45 lunch/free play
12:45-2:30 – Pillar Based Activity, Guest or Field Trip
2:30-2:45 – Snack
2:45-3:45 – Pillar Based Activity, Guest or Field Trip
3:45-4:00 – Clean-up/camp wrap up
4:00-4:10 – Camp Pick Up
4:10-5:00 – Late Pick Up (additional cost)
Prior to camp arrival, all parents/guardians are asked to self-screen their child using the COVID-19 Screening Tool.
If a child exhibits any symptoms consistent with cold or flu, the child should remain home. Children with symptoms will NOT be allowed at camp.
Any child, parent, staff or visitor must NOT enter the camp space if they are sick, even is symptoms resemble a mild cold.
Children that develop symptoms at camp will be asked to be picked up by the parent/guardian. They will not be able to return to camp until symptoms have resolved for at least 24 hours.
At this time, masks will be required at all City of Selkirk employees. Participants may choose to also wear one if they prefer.
If possible, please only send one parent/guardian inside the facility to drop off the child at camp.
Staff will practice physical distancing to the extent possible, while still caring for children.
The camp area will be set-up to encourage physical distancing amongst staff and campers.
Children and staff will engage in frequent hand washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds when arrive to camp. Sanitization stations will also be available throughout the space.
Staff will perform frequent thorough cleaning every day, using routine practices that follow regulations for cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting. Frequently touched objects and surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected numerous times throughout the day.
At this time, all City of Selkirk employees are required to wear a mask. Participants may choose to wear one if they prefer.
Please note start date, time and location of this program. You will be contacted only if the course is cancelled (due to insufficient registrants) or details have changed.
- For courses cancelled due to insufficient enrollment registered participants will be notified by email and money refunded in full.
- A full refund will be issued for any program cancelled by the City of Selkirk. Participants will be notified by email of any program cancellation or changes.
- If a registrant withdraws from a program 5 or more business days before the start of the program, they may receive a full refund minus a $15.75 administration fee. Refunds after this date are subject to the discretion of the Director of Culture, Recreation and Green Transportation. Request for refunds must be in writing (email).
- NSF cheques will be charged a $40.00 fee.
- No refunds will be issued for any participants that have been asked to leave a class or program.
- Individual classes during a program may be cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control (Ex: bad weather). Make up classes will be offered when possible but is not guaranteed.
By choosing to register for this program, you understand that certain risks are inherent to participation in sports and recreation activities. Those that participate in these program agree to the following:
- I/we the undersigned, hereby acknowledge that certain risks of injury are inherent to participation in sports and recreational activities. These types of injuries may be minor or serious and may result from one’s actions or in-actions of others or a combination of both.
- I/we understand that the rules and regulations are designed for the safety and protection of participants and hereby undertake to abide by these rules and regulations.
- I/we understand that certain activities require a minimum level of fitness and health (physical, mental and emotional) and that each person has a different capacity of participating in these activities.
- I/we agree to allow my child to participate in off-campus field trips that may require the use of public transportation.
- I/we agree that the City of Selkirk and/or its employees, servants or agents shall not be liable for any injury to any
person or loss or damage to personal property arising from, or in any way resulting from, my or my child’s participation in these activities, unless such injury, loss or damage is caused solely by the negligence of the City or its employees, servants, or agents while acting.
- I/we agree that we have read and understood the above Informed Consent Agreement in its entirety and hereby consent to participate acknowledging all the foregoing.