New meter installation
A new meter must be purchased from the City, please contact the Operations Department to confirm the size of meter needed and cost. Please note upon installation of the new meter a Cut In fee of $25 will be charged on your first bill along with the security deposit.
- We will turn on the water and install a new water meter at the cost to the consumer under the following conditions:
- The building must have a control valve installed where the meter will go.
- The area must be accessible and be heated in the winter.
- The shut-off valve at the property line must be operational and at grade.
- All plumbing must be installed according to code.
- Meter sizes supplied and installed by the City include:
- 5/8″, 3/4″ and 1-inch meters (include gaskets and tail pieces)
- 1 ½”, 2″, 3″, 4″ and 6-inch meters (include gaskets, nuts, bolts and companion flanges)
- For water meter installation requirements, please contact the City’s Operations Department at 204-785-4930.
Relocating a meter
- Meters may be moved at the customer’s expense.
- Before you contact a plumber, contact the City’s Operations Department at 204-785-4930.
- We require a drawing of your planned installation.
- The new location of your water meter must meet our installation requirements (see New meter installation above).
Removing a meter
- We will remove a meter in the event of any one of these situations:
- you have abandoned your water service pipe
- you have purchased a demolition permit and taken out a permit so the water service pipe can be reused
- the meter is installed on a seasonal water service pipe
- You must contact the City’s Operations Department at 204-785-4930 to have the water turned off and to remove your meter.