If you’re looking for a way to break up the monotony of the winter months, there is no easier way to get in shape than the Walk & Jog Program at the Rec Complex! It requires no special equipment and can be done with a partner. Please remember to social distance.
Walking is the most popular form of physical activity among Canadians, and can be done by anyone, at any age, with any ability. As a regular physical activity, walking is a safe way to develop a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Any excuse for a walk is good, whether it’s for staying in shape, improving overall physical and mental health, sleeping and feeling better, or just having time for yourself. The health benefits of walking can help maintain cardiovascular and pulmonary fitness, manage conditions such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol, joint and muscular pain/ stiffness, and diabetes. We will have a staff member on- site if any questions arise, or in case of emergency.
Monday – Friday 8:30am to 2:30pm
September 23, 2020 – April 30, 2021.
This program does not run during holiday or special events.
Selkirk Rec Complex
Selkirk Residents: $40.00 for the year/ $2.00 drop- in fee
Non- Residents: $60.00 for the year/ $3.00 drop- in fee
You can purchase your Walk & Jog pass and drop- in fees during program hours at the Selkirk Recreation Complex. Debit, Credit, and Cash are accepted.
Walk & Jog Program: Registration Process:
- Registration for the 2020/ 2021 Walk & Jog Program will remain the same as last year, with the addition of an online booking process for time slots. Program hours will be from 8:30am- 2:30pm. The Walk & Jog Program will begin September 23, 2020 offering a free open house week until October 12, 2020. During this time the public will be able to come and enjoy a week of free walking and jogging, and the option of paying for your yearly walking pass in advance is available.
- Individuals who wish to participate in this program will go to the Selkirk Recreation Complex during program hours and register in person with the Walk & Jog Program Attendant.
- Once at the Selkirk Recreation Complex, participants will fill out a physical registration form that has all important information needed going forward.
- Participants will show identification regarding payment for a Resident or Non- Resident membership.
- Once residency has been verified, participants will be prompted to pay using either via cash, debit, or credit card. (Returning participants will receive a $10.00 rebate on this year’s membership pass.)
- Once payment is completed, the participant will receive their walking pass and number. This number will be your identification number going forward for daily sign in throughout this program.
- A link will also be provided via email to all registered participants, to complete their future bookings.
Walk & Jog Program: Booking & Signing- In Process:
- Participants will need to book their time slot(s) in advance as limited space will be available each hour. This will keep a maintained number of participants, which follows our COVID-19 compliance plan. (Please see COVID-19 Compliance Plan for more information.)
- To book, participants will either go online to the emailed link previously received when registered, call the Walk & Jog Attendant at (204-785-4961) or in person during program hours. Participants will be able to book all their planned walking times 1 week in advance. Participants will be able to book 1 hour time slots, twice daily.
- The door will be locked at all times to the public. When coming to the Walk & Jog Program for your scheduled walking time, please arrive only within 5 minutes of your scheduled walking/ jogging time. This is to ensure a maintained number of individuals in the building, as well as segregation of the prior bookings. The Walk & Jog Attendant will know who is registered for the daily timeslots available and unlock the door for participants upon arrival.
- The Walk & Jog Attendant will unlock the door and prompt you to sanitize your hands upon arrival. Masks will be mandatory during this program. If you forget your mask, we will offer masks for purchase. ($1.00 per mask.)
- You will be asked for your member number, and the Walk & Jog Attendant will sign you in.
- Please follow the arrows and maintain social distancing. A storage unit will be supplied to keep all personal items separate from another.
Timeslots available are as follows:
- 8:30- 9:30am
- 9:45- 10:45am
- 11:00- 12:00pm
- 12:15- 1:15pm
- 1:30- 2:30pm
Walk & Jog Program: Rules & Regulations:
- The door will be locked at all times to the public. When coming to the Walk & Jog Program for your scheduled walking time, please arrive only within 5 minutes of your scheduled walking/ jogging time. This is to ensure a maintained number of individuals in the building, as well as segregation of the prior bookings. You will be prompted to sanitize your hands upon arrival.
- Masks will be mandatory 24/7 while in the Selkirk Recreation Complex. If you forget your mask, we will offer masks for purchase. ($1.00 per mask.)
- Storage unit will be available to all participants for personal storage.
- This is a fragrance free program.
- Directional walking will be implemented and direction will change daily to maintain overall health, and carry out therapeutic health practices.
- Light background music will be played during program hours. Please feel free to bring headphones to listen to personal music.
- Water fountains will not be available for public use. Please bring a full personal water bottle with you.
- Main lobby washrooms will be closed. Washrooms inside rink will be available for program use only.
- High touch surfaces, personal storage area, and washrooms will be cleaned/ sanitized every hour.