Tis the season of lights, overloaded electrical outlets, candles, leaving gifts in the car and more! We’re here to share some safety tips.
Please be extra cautious of the following:
- Check that all lights, sockets, wires, and plugs are not damaged.
- Use Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved indoor lights inside and outdoor ones outside.
- Choose the right light for the job: light strings and other decorations are rated for indoor or outdoor use. Ensure that indoor lights and decorations are only used inside. Read the package instructions and do not exceed the recommended wattage.
- Check all light bulbs before you put them up. Replace broken or burned-out bulbs with those recommended by the manufacturer.
- Don’t overload your electrical outlets.
- Turn off your lights when you are going to sleep or leaving your home.
- Use decorations that are not likely to catch fire and keep them and your tree away from heat sources like vents, fireplaces, and candles.
- If using a real Christmas tree, pick a fresh tree with green needles, not a dried-out one.
- Be diligent in blowing candles out when you leave a room.
- If possible, do not leave gifts in your car or on your doorstep – the car and porch pirates are out in full force.
There are plenty more things to be aware than what’s mentioned above.
Fore more on fire safety, home safety, toy safety, injury prevention and more, head to the Government of Canada’s Website.